6 Tips to Follow After Root Canal Treatment
A root canal is a delicate procedure, that might cause pain as an after effect. It treats the pulp of the tooth that contains nerves and blood vessels. It removes the pulp from the tooth when they get infected or dead. It involves cutting a small hole in the tooth, removing the pulp and then filling the gap.
Proper care after root canal treatment is a must in order to prevent any further discomfort. Campbell & Williams Family Dental, the experts at Root Canal Therapy in Highland Village advice to follow these few steps after a root canal.
- Take your prescriptions as directed: Take your medicines as prescribed by your dentist to avoid any pain and to prevent further infection.
- Pay attention to your pain levels: It is normal to face a little discomfort for a few days after the procedure. However, if the pain intensifies or stays for a longer period, you should alert your dentist immediately.
- Keep the area clean: Make sure that you keep the area around the root canal clean in order to prevent further infection. Brush and floss your teeth twice daily.
- Be careful to not put pressure on your infected tooth: After the procedure, your tooth is quite sensitive. Hence, do not put any pressure on it. Avoid grinding your teeth or chewing food from the side where root canal tooth is there. If possible, buy a night guard as a further precaution. Ask your dentist whether they provide custom fitting guards or contact Campbell & Williams Family Dental.
- Consider getting a crown for your tooth: To keep your tooth from damage, get a crown for your tooth. Dentist after a Root Canal treatment in Highland Village recommend on getting a custom made crown in order to protect your tooth properly.
- Avoid certain foods: As mentioned earlier, your tooth is sensitive after a root canal therapy. Therefore, it is best to avoid hard, crunchy or chewy food after the procedure. Furthermore, also avoid anything that is too hot or too cold until your tooth heals.